Personal Injury Claims: 3 Types Of Evidence Required For Proving Mental Pain And Suffering

If you're involved in an accident and are making a personal injury claim, you are entitled to compensation for non-economic losses. This includes pain and suffering endured from the accident. Usually, the amount of compensation you'll be rewarded for pain and suffering will be 1.5 to 4 times the total amount rewarded for medial bills and loss wages. The amount rewarded depends on how strong your case is. Here are 3 types of evidences that most personal injury attorneys recommend using.

Medical Records from Psychologists and Therapists

The trauma of the accident may have left you terrified and in tremendous mental pain. You might be scared to perform activities that you never had a problem with before. If this is the case, the word of a medical expert can go a long way. To show that you are actively trying to recover from the trauma, you should see a therapist throughout the period of recovery. The therapist can then either testify on your behalf in court or provide you with the medical records necessary to prove the extent of the mental trauma sustained.

Testimony from Friends, Family Members, and Coworkers

If you are a credible member of the community, testimony from your family members, friends, and coworkers can also go a long way. The testimony should include the changes in you that these people have witnessed. For example, while you might have had a bubbly personality before the accident, they might have noticed that you are always stressed and anxious after the accident. Testimony that also includes how this new behavior has affected your life will give the court more insight as to how the accident might have affected you.

Diary Records Detailing Quality of Living

Nobody knows yourself better than you. After the accident, keep a detailed diary that documents your quality of living. You want to include your thoughts, mood, quality of sleep, and even libido within the diary. For example, if you're always feeling angry and tired, make note of that. The diary can give the court some insight as to what's going on inside your mind.  

When filing a personal injury claim that asks for compensation for non-economic losses, you need to take extra steps to make sure that you can prove that you suffered mental pain and trauma from the accident. Your attorney will help you compile the evidence you have collected in order to build a strong case that can sway the opposing party to offer you the settlement amount you are looking for. For more information, contact local professionals like Conway Pauley & Johnson PC Attys.