Worried About Your Children? 4 Steps To Take When Your Ex Fails To Return Them After Vacation

If your ex has refused to bring your children back after summer vacation, you need to take steps to ensure their return. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to do that. There are legal steps that must be followed, even when you have the custody papers to prove that your children belong to with you. However, it's important to note that are are avenues you can take to get your children back. Here are four things that you need to do right away.

Contact Your Attorney Right Away

If your ex has refused to return your children, the first thing you need to do is contact your divorce lawyer. They'll need to know all the details surrounding the situation, including the last time you spoke to your ex, and where they were located at the time. Your attorney can work with the court to obtain an emergency order for the return of your children. Once you have the court order, you can get started in the process to get your children back.

Attempt to Work With Your Ex

If your ex is still speaking to you, try to get them to return your children voluntarily. It will be much less emotionally painful for your children if your ex returns voluntarily. Not only that, but there will be fewer legal ramifications for your ex if you don't have to take additional steps to secure the return of your children. If attempts to communicate with your ex fail, you'll need to take the next steps.

File a Report With Law Enforcement

Once you've obtained your emergency court orders, you'll need to file a police report. It's much easier to get law enforcement involved when you have possession of court orders. Filing a report with your local law enforcement agency will ensure that other agencies throughout the country become involved, as well. This is particularly beneficial when an Amber alert may become necessary. An Amber alert will ensure that information regarding your ex – and your children – is made available to the general public.

Hire a Private Investigator

If your ex has refused to return your children following vacation, you need to hire a private investigator. Law enforcement agencies don't always have the time or the resources to dedicate to the search for your children. However, a private investigator will be able to focus on finding your children. Once a private investigator has located your children, you can pass the information on to your attorney, and to local law enforcement.